Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thursday Folders

Hmmm...what is this? You may sometimes wonder as you take things out of the Thursday folder. This week you will find an illustration to the question "What would you make two of?" We illustrated these after reading the Chinese Folktale Two of Everything. There is also an illustration that includes a red squiggle. We read The Squiggle, a book about a girl who finds a red squiggle and makes it into The Great Wall of China, a dragon, fireworks and more. Some girls played a math game with bears. They chose five bears from a bag. they recorded the colors of the bears in the squares and then wrote the color words. Of course, the worms came home which they are very excited about. You'll notice a lot less of my writing and a lot more kid writing in the Pre-k News this time. The girls are now writing their own articles for the news. I ask them to write all the sounds they hear in the words or sentence that tells their story. Storrie asked me why I was writing other words nearby. I told her that everyone is doing wonderful kid writing in their articles. Some grown-ups reading the news may not know how to read kid writing so I would write the grown-up writing next to it. She said, grown-ups do need help sometimes. Yes, we do!

No comments: