Wednesday, April 2, 2008

On a personal note....

As the description states, this blog is to provide a venue for an inside look at your daughter's learning in prek. It is also a venue to discuss why we choose certain activities and how important education, especially early childhood education, is.

I have become very close with many families from my other teaching positions. We keep in touch and I love to see how the families and kids are growing and changing. Tonight I was lucky enough to attend an event that one of my former students was participating in. The Variety: Kids with Heart Show is a talent show organized by Variety Children's Charities for children with special needs. The children's remarkable abilities outshone any disabilities that these spectacular individuals live with on a daily basis. From 5 year olds proficiently playing classical music and singing Amazing Grace to 19 year olds performing tap dancing routines that they choreographed, one act after another was inspiring. Most amazing was that each of the thirty participants stood on the stage of the sold out Prince Music Theater and performed without missing a beat. They were ecstatic but poised. They answered the questions of the co-hosts with vigor and clarity. To see my former student march up to her mark and introduce the song she was singing along with the personal meaning behind her choice brought a smile to my face and to the crowd of strangers around me.

Watching all of these young people made me think about why and how we educate our young girls. Of course we prepare them to read and write and perform mathematical operations. These are all critical skills for their education. However, what I saw in my young friend's performance was the execution of some deeper goals of school. She chose material with purpose, she articulated this purpose to herself and an audience, she presented her song so clearly and sincerely, she connected with, read and responded to the audience, and as I stood with her after the performance waiting for her parents to make their way across the theater she kindly responded to each stranger who congratulated her with a "Thank You so Much!" while extending her hand for a handshake.

Upon reflecting on all of these skills, and more, that I saw unfold before me I keep thinking of activity upon activity that we have done this week alone that supports them. As this blog is already becoming term paper length, I will not list them. I will just say that it is magnificent to be part of a community that recognizes the importance of weaving all facets of learning to provide an education that will prepare our girls for a future that we cannot predict or imagine.

No comments: